Monday, May 3, 2010

Eightball- Daniel Clowes

I'm not sure how I forgot to post on this comic, I spent most of class reading it instead of paying attention once I found it.

Again, it was the style. I just love skillful use of black and white. This used grey tones, but it used them well, and not as an afterthought. I was interested in how detailed the character got in key points in his face, such as his eyes and mouth, had plenty of wrinkles and detail, while the rest of his face was untouched.

The typography was incredibly irritating in some points, however, and I think it's worth noting that I skimmed Young Dan Pussey just becuase I couldn't be bothered with the typeface. What an issue to have, all that hard work and I won't read it ebcuase of their type face.

I can't really go on talking about this without talking about the absurd happenings that go unmentioned in this comic, of course. In Like a Velvet Glove Cast In Iron, thecharacter watches a very strange movie, I'm not all too sure we're meant to understand it at all. Afterwards, he goes to see his friend and borrow his car. after a very normal conversation about how obvious it is he only wants to borrow the car, we arrive at the friend's doorstep to find he has huge shrimp jammed into his eye sockets! The main character doesn't flinch, and eventually the friend explains they're cleaning bacteria. And without a break in between, the parking garage woman makes a move on his, spraying her drink in his face. We even see an alien prostitute. And it's all completely unexplained. If anything, the main character is dressed in a fairly retro manner, hair slicked back with a plaid jacket.

The following stories all follow the same formula of seeming to be based in reality and then pull crazy stunts. I suppose it's absurdist humor of some sort, but I rarely found it funny, more of a train wreck I couldn't stop watching, mostly because it was smehow compelling, and because the style was very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment